Sunday, November 13, 2011

Trying something new...USS Hancock

Well after visiting my local hobby shop yesterday, I though I would try something different for me.  I saw a Trumpeter 1/350 USS Hancock Aircraft Carrier (WW2), and it appealed to me.  Now I have built a U-Boat in the past, but this will be my first ship model of this size.  Opening the box, I found an excellent kit, well molded, and lots of detail.  I am going to pass on any PE for this kit, just want the experience of building a boat.  I was so excited about it, kind of pushed my other projects aside and laid down the hull last night.  The fit was ok, have to watch a few spot, mainly the bow piece, I put it on first to help line up the upper and lower hull pieces.  There is still some gaps(as you can tell from the pic).  So lots of putty, now to wait for it to dry and sand, then onto the flight deck.

Just one warning when starting a ship, have lots of glue on hand, almost half a bottle of liquid cement just doing the hull.

No comments: