Sunday, October 30, 2011

Build Log 1 - AFV Club Stuart V

Well starting another campaign on Armorama for Allied Vehicles.  So I decided I wanted a smaller tank, after a search of the shelves at my local Hobby Shop, Hobby House, I came across a 1/35 M3A3 Stuart.  Knowing most allies used this tank during WW2, I decided I will build the Stuart V version, and will be applying Canadian 2nd Armor Brigade markings, for North West Europe.

Opening the box, I found a very well molded kit, very little flash.  The kit did come with a few PE pieces, but I did purchase the Eduard PE set.  Also the kit comes with rubber tracks, so I decided to order the link set from AFV Club.  One nice piece is the include aluminum barrel.

I started with making the bogeys, going together very well.  After which, the hull, this is where most of the PE goes.  All the individual tie downs, about 35 of them, were attached using CA, after having to scrape off the molded on ones.  The PE set really adds to the kit.  Work has started on the turret.  The breach required a little putty to fill the gap, but most went together pretty straight forward.

Next up to complete the turret and continue with the detail.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Build Log 2 - Tamiya 1/48 P-51 Mk. III

Well I managed to finish my P51 Mustang. Model was painted using Tamiya Paints(RAF Sea Grey, RAF Dark Green, RAF Royal Light Grey). I tried something new this time in terms of masking, I used the "blue" poster tack. It was easy to use, I cut out flexible clear masking to shape, then used the poster tack to hold the edges down.

After dry, usual coat of future, then kit decals. I was not too impressed with the Tamiya decals in the kit, they were thick and difficult to get to settle, took several coats of SolvaSet to get them down. After decals, another coat of Future, then used Mig Dark Wash into the panel lines. Weathering was completed with Vallejo pigments between a couple coats of Testors Flat Clear Spray.

I was not totally happy how this one came out, I was kind of distracted by my Panzer IV build, and should have put this off till I had more time to concentrate on it. I may have to do another one in the future, maybe a P-51D in Canadian markings or even the new Tamiya 1/32 P-51D.

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Build Log 4 - Dragon Panzer IV Ausf G

Done!!! The model was weathered using Mig Washes and Pigments. One method I like to use to add pigment, is to mix the pigment with a little water, making a paste. I then apply this paste using a soft brush where I need it. When dry you can use a stiffer brush to start taking some off. By leaving some on, it looks more like caked on mud. After all the weathering, it was given a final coat of Testor Flat Clear spray.