Monday, April 9, 2012

Canadian 15CWT

Wow, it has been a long time since I posted here.  Been busy modeling I guess, and researching and writing news for Armorama.

Well here is the latest model to leave my desk.  An older Italeri 15CWT Truck, with some Eduard Photo Etch added.  It is an older model, not alot of detail, but alot of potential.  Pretty straight forward build, went together relatively well, and am happy with the end result.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Airfix Club Kit - little planes, lots of fun

About six months ago, I decided to join the Airfix Club.  Not only do I get monthly updates, a monthly magazine, special offers, but I got a free kit when I joined.  It was a duo kit, 1/72 F86 Sabre and Mig-15.  These are nice little kits on their own, but together tell a story of air war in Korea.

The kits are well detailed, engraved panel lines, and colorful decals.  On top of all that, they go together very well, very little seams to fill, great fit.  The Sabre was primed with Vallejo Black Primer and airbrushed various shade of Alclad Aluminum.  The Mig, was primed with Vallejo Grey Primer, and painted with Vallejo Air.  I had started with the Sand color, used Blue tack for masking, then did the Dark Green, more blue tack, then the lighter green.  I liked the way it came out.

Now I wanted to display them, well a block of would, some piano wire, hole in the bottom of each plane and little epoxy.

Voila, nice little display of Korea War era air power.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

New Year Project - Chevrolet 15-CWT

Well it is a new year, and this is my first post, sorry for the delay.  Been working alot, and doing some reviews for Kitmaker Network.

So time for a new project.  This time around an older kit, Italeri's Chevrolet 15-CWT.  This originally was an old Peerless kit, with Italeri buying the molds.  You can tell that it is an older kit, molding is not as crisp and lots of flash.  Nothing that can't be cleaned up and used to build a decent model.  I have decided to add a little photo etched detail using the Eduard Details kit.  The PE set is originally for the Italeri Quad Gun Tractor, but there are some usable parts.

So I have started the basic construction of the frame, as per the instructions.  Everything so far is straight forward, just cleaning up some flash and sanding down some seams.  The fits is surprisingly good for a kit of this generation.  I am impressed so far.

So up next, I will move the cab, where we will start to add some PE detail.